Friday, October 29, 2010

NBC Chicago's Edward McClelland writes the truth about Joe Berrios

A lot has been written in the press about Joe Berrios. What does the truth look like? NBC Chicago's Edward McClelland called out Forrest Claypool's witch hunt against the Democrat for what it is, "It’s a conspiracy of goo-goos, with no backing from the minority community." I am a "goo-goo" and I have seen through this shallow sham since day one. McClelland sums it up nicely: "I just don’t believe that Claypool is as virtuous as he claims, or that Berrios is as corrupt."


Read it:


I’ll tell you how I voted in this fall’s elections, and why...

Cook County Assessor: Joe Berrios
Berrios actually wants to be Cook County Assessor. He wants it so badly he has spent 22 years preparing himself as a member of the Cook County Board of Tax Appeals. Maybe I’m cynical, but it’s hard to remain a virgin in politics that long. The Better Government Association and Chicago magazine reported that Berrios accepted campaign contributions from lawyers who did business with the board, but politicians take money from lobbyists all the time. And the BGA was unable to pin anything illegal on Berrios.


I voted for Forrest Claypool when he ran for Cook County Board President in 2006, because I thought John Stroger was petrifying into a political boss. But I am mystified by his dilettantish campaign for assessor. Earlier this year, Claypool suddenly decided that the fate of honest government in Illinois depended on keeping Berrios out of the assessor’s office. Claypool’s allies in the news media and the Lakefront Liberal establishment have gone along, even questioning Toni Preckwinkle’s progressive credentials because she supports Berrios, a fellow Democratic nominee. It’s a conspiracy of goo-goos, with no backing from the minority community -- not a healthy coalition for winning countywide office.


I just don’t believe that Claypool is as virtuous as he claims, or that Berrios is as corrupt.


Read it all: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/How-I-Voted-And-Why-106306068.html#ixzz13m2vbtgw

No comments:

Post a Comment